Conditions of Entry: Regulations and Criteria
Wines must be consigned to:
The Saint Martin 2019 Great Australian Shiraz Challenge
c/- Fowles Wine, Cnr Hume Fwy and Lambing Gully Rd, Avenel Victoria 3664
Download the consignment sheet
Important dates for exhibitors
- Open for Entries / Online entries: Monday August 12th.
- Closing date for Entries: Friday September 20th.
- Entries must be delivered by: Friday September 27th.
- Show Judging: Tuesday October 8th – Thursday 10th.
- Trophy Winners announcement: Friday November 1st online here and on Facebook.
- Medal winning wine results will be will be announced online here, Friday November 1st and on the Challenge Facebook page.
The Saint Martin 2019 Great Australian Shiraz Challenge is unlike other wine awards. It is aimed specifically at commercially available Shiraz of any vintage, so that the wines are accessible to the consuming public.
- Judging is based on the standard 20 point system, with Judges points aggregated and averaged. All wines scored at Gold medal standard are rejudged in the second round of Trophies selection.
- All entrants will be advised of point scores and medal winning wines will be published on The Great Australian Shiraz Challenge website www.shirazchallenge.com.au Medal winning wines will have unrestricted branding rights for labels, packaging and wine marketing materials.
- Before judging, any entry or record relating to an entry as, stated in the Application for the competition, may be inspected and checked by an auditor appointed by The Great Shiraz Challenge.
- After the judging of entries, all trophy winners, random medal winners and non-medal exhibits which entries have been received will be selected for audit. The auditor may inspect the records relating to each exhibit from the nominated licensed outlets, to determine that at the time of entry the exhibit complies with the conditions of entry for the wine entered. The auditor may purchase at least one sample bottle for comparison with the exhibit at the time of judging.
- The Shiraz wine/s must be commercially labelled as Shiraz (not a Shiraz / other varietal blend).
- The Shiraz wine(s) entered must be commercially labelled and available at a nominated point of sale at the time of entry and judging.
- Wine/s submitted without capsules or commercial labels will be considered to be unfinished tank/barrel samples and as such will not be eligible for judging.
- IMPORTANT: Commercially available is understood to mean the wine is available for purchase through retail outlet/s, cellar door sales or mail order at the time of entry and judging.
- An Australian sales licensed outlet for the Shiraz wine(s) must be nominated on the entry form as a guarantee of current consumer availability.
- The Challenge is open to still Shiraz table wines only.
- There is only one Judging Class – no vintage restrictions apply.
- A wine can only be entered once.
- The Shiraz wine/s must have been produced in a quantity of at least 100 dozen.
- There is no restriction on the number of entries per winery.
- An entry must comprise of the following number of bottles: 6 bottles of 750 mL each or equivalent of each wine entered for Judging. Please note: No extra exhibitor labelling is required.
- The decision of the judges is final and no discussion will be entered into.
- The Great Shiraz Challenge Pty Ltd reserves the right to market and promote Shiraz wine(s) entered in this event.
- All exhibits, press and promotional wines become the property of the The Great Shiraz Challenge Pty Ltd
- The Great Shiraz Challenge Pty Ltd cannot be held responsible for lost/damaged entries.
- Prizes are not redeemable for cash.
- There are two different entry fees depending on your method of application:
Online: $155 (incl. GST) per Exhibit submitted using the GASC online entry facility
Offline: $165 (incl. GST) per Exhibit submitted outside the GASC online entry facility, including but not limited to those submitted by post, hand fax or by email.
- No entry will be accepted until receipt of the entry fee in full.
- Electronic entries will not be officially processed until payment is received.
- The Great Shiraz Challenge may at its discretion refund the entry fee less any administrative costs incurred in processing the entry, if any entry is withdrawn. Refunds will not be issued for entries that do not arrive on time.
Delivery of exhibits
Judging samples must be delivered and received by 4.30pm, Friday September 27th and, if received after this date, may not be accepted for judging in this competition. NB: the delivery address has changed in 2019!
Exhibitors arranging their own courier of choice must ensure that wine is delivered to:
Saint Martin 2019 Great Australian Shiraz Challenge
c/- Fowles Wine, Cnr Hume Fwy and Lambing Gully Rd, Avenel Victoria 3664
Failure to meet the entry criteria will result in disqualification from the competition
*The Great Shiraz Challenge Pty Ltd cannot be held responsible for lost/damaged entries.
Notes for exhibitors regarding results and awards
- Medal winning wine results will be posted here on our website after awards presentation dinner, Friday November 1st.
Press and Promotional Events
- Should entrant’s wine(s) be selected for a press tasting, an additional 12 bottles of 750 mL or equivalent may be requested and are to be supplied at entrant’s cost.
- Should entrant’s wine(s) be selected for a promotional tasting, another 12 bottles of 750 mL or equivalent may be requested and are to be supplied at entrant’s cost.
- Call for Awards presentation dinner wines: If a Shiraz is selected for the Awards Presentation, up to a further 2 dozen bottles are to be provided to The Great Australian Shiraz Challenge at the exhibitors cost including freight.
- All delivery costs, including transport and insurance will be the responsibility of the trophy winner.
Advertising of Awards
- An exhibitor must comply with The Winemakers Federation of Australia Code of Practice for the Display of Awards in relation to any award won for any exhibit in this show. An exhibitor must not advertise or allow to be advertised by any means, the fact that an exhibit has won an award in the show unless the advertisement shows clearly;
a) The year of the award
b) The award won
c) The correct name of the competition, that is, The Saint Martin 2019 Great Australian Shiraz Challenge.
d) The correct Trophy names
Saint Martin Great Australian Shiraz Challenge Trophy
Leocatas Transport Trophy for Best Shiraz Over Five Years Old
Labelhouse Trophy for Best Victorian Shiraz
Orora Glass Trophy for Best South Australian Shiraz
Grapeworks / Tanium Trophy for Best New South Wales Shiraz
Grapeworks / Tanium Trophy for Best Tasmanian Shiraz
Winetitles Trophy for Best Western Australia Shiraz
Keith Lucas Design Trophy for Best ACT Shiraz
Best Shiraz of Other States: TBC
- A product must not be marketed bearing any reference to any award won at this show unless the product is the winner of the award. Reference to any award on a label or sticker attached to a bottle must relate to the contents of the bottle.
HOW TO ENTEREntries for 2019 open online on Monday August 12th.
Online entries are cheaper! The Great Australian Shiraz Challenge encourages Exhibitors to enter online.
To enter online or download information package and entry form, simply visit www.shirazchallenge.com.au
Posting entry form/s to:
Wine Show Entries The Great Australian Shiraz Challenge
PO Box 157
Nagambie VIC 3608.
Fax to (03) 5736 2266
Email to [email protected]
Entries close Friday September 20th.
National Australian Bank.
Account Name: The Great Shiraz Challenge Pty Ltd
BSB Number: 083 798
Account Number: 49 167 7488
Payable to: The Great Shiraz Challenge Pty Ltd
The Great Shiraz Challenge Pty Ltd do comply with the Privacy Amendment (Private Sector) Act 2000 and meet the ten National Privacy Principles (NNP’s) as spelt out in the Privacy Act which cover:
- Collection, use and disclosure of information.
- Storage of information.
- Access to information.
The Company will not keep a record of credit card information.